Friday, November 2, 2007

All My Sons

After finishing the play All My Sons by Arthur Miller, I had mixed feelings whether or not i liked the play. I'm sort of indifferent towards this play. Again I'm noticing a depressing theme with this source of literature. Why do we always read depressing books??? I thought the play was very interesting and it moved along at a pretty fast pace, but it was sad and nothing happy really happened through out the whole play. I thought the character of Joe Keller was very layered and complex. He knowingly committed a very horrible act that ended in the deaths of 21 pilots, and yet he thinks that he committed no crime. He thought that he was doing the right thing by sending out the faulty parts, because if he hadn't his business would've gone bankrupt and he wouldn't be able to provide for his family. At the end of the play Joe realizes the impact of his actions after reading a letter sent by Larry to Ann, where Larry says he wished that Joe were dead as punishment for what he had done. Joe, after reading this, recognizes the gravity of his actions and the people that were affected. Joe then commits suicide, not being able to handle his guilt.

No comments: