Tuesday, November 27, 2007

The Book Thief

As of right now I am on page 25 of The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. So far I am enjoying it very much, though in some parts it's really confusing. I am still getting use to the fact that Death is narrating this book, a hard thing to imagine. Death is fair, agreeable, and sometimes even cheerful. It (don't know if I should refer to it as a he or a she) explains that it's one saving grace is distraction. Death makes distraction from his work his vacation. Death goes in further detail when he says, "Needless to say, I vacation in increments. In colors" (Zusak 5). Death explains that the worst part of what it does is watching what it calls "the leftover humans", in other words it can't stand to look at the ones "who are left behind, crumbling among the jigsaw puzzle of realization, despair, and surprise. They have punctured hearts. They have beaten lungs" (Zusak 5). Death describes that the book theif, otherwise known as Liesel Meminger, is an expert at being left behind, as he sees her three times. Death begins to tell the story of the book thief in part one. And that's where I left off.

No comments: